OpenOffice, the free desktop suite competing directly against MS Office, reached an important milestone with the availability of version 2.2, Release Candidate 3. This time, we believe, the officiel release of v2.2 is near.
Some of the most sensitive improvements were expected by the users:
- Calc should improve notably the management of dynamic pivot tables from Excel origin Excel (a powerful tool that is too often under-appreciated or ignored).
- PDF files: More control possibilities/options, including the ability to generate in-PDF bookmarks.
- Adaptation to Vista for a better compatibility.
- Appearance of SQL requests inside requests for the database manager.
- Stability improvements on the Mac version (along with size reduction).
- Better compatibility with Slackware, NetBSD, Linux 64, Linux SPARC.
For a download (still free, of course), go and check on the OpenOffice web site.