Opera and IPv6

ipv6

It’s worth noticing it if you are using Opera. I had a difficult-to-solve issue recently.

While playing with the idea of starting to use IPv6 on my main PC, I tested the waters by validating this option in the network configuration of my Windows XP. Unfortunately, Opera is already fully ready for IPv6 but my router box is not. So, the first effect it had is that Opera decided to enforce the use of IPv6 for all web sites that mentioned IPv6 capacity in their DNS (not many of them, but Google and Free.fr my ISP are already in the list). The immediate effect was that Opera tried to connect to them in IPv6 but failed (because the rest of my home configuration is not 100% IPv6). For 99% of all web sites, there was no difference…

It took me several days (and some Googling – using Safari and Chrome) to understand that this is a known issue and to remove the (still) useless IPv6 Windows configuration.

I’ll have to upgrade my router and try again.

3 comments for “Opera and IPv6

  1. December 3, 2009 at 17:23

    Ironically, I think they’ve fixed this issue in the new version. I say that as I can no longer access IPv6 sites, as it defaults to IPv4 first.

  2. December 3, 2009 at 22:25

    I should have been mentioning that I did this “test” with Opera 10.0

    I did not try again with Opera 10.10 the newest version. Thanks for the update.

  3. Nimbus
    December 31, 2009 at 09:50

    I have tested with Opera 10.10 on FreeBSD 8.0. It still does NOT work. While Konqueror and Firefox are working well on same platform.

Comments are closed.